As a homeowner with well water, it's in your best interest to understand how to treat and disinfect your well. After all, the water flowing into your well from the aquifer isn't pure water. There are naturally occurring microbes, minerals, bacteria, and other contaminants. Most of it is perfectly safe, but it can alter the flavor of the water. Other contaminants could potentially make your family ill. Here's a look at what you need to know about keeping your well water safe for your loved ones.
Prepare The Well For Treatment
Before you get started, you need to get the well prepared. The first thing you should do is turn off all power to the well pump. The best way to do this is to turn off the circuit breaker that powers the pump. Put tape over the breaker switch or mark it clearly otherwise so that nobody turns it on while you're working. Once that's done, remove the seal and cap from the well.
Create The Disinfection Solution
The best way to disinfect your well is with a mixture of water and chlorine. The proper ratio of chlorine bleach to water will depend on the diameter and depth of your well, so it's in your best interest to ask a contractor before you try to treat it. Once you know the ratio that you need, mix the water and chlorine bleach in a clean bucket.
Treat The Well
Pour the chlorinated water directly into the well. Connect a standard garden hose to a water faucet, then put the other end directly into the well casing. Turn the power back on to the well pump, then open the faucet on the hose. This will cycle water from the well through that fixture and back into the well, running that chlorinated water through the system. Let it run for a couple of hours, or until you can clearly smell chlorine in the hose itself.
While the water is cycling through your garden hose, you need to run chlorine through each of the other lines in the house. Turn on each of the faucets inside the house and let the water run until you can start to smell chlorine in the water. As soon as you smell chlorine, turn the faucets off. Let the water system sit unused overnight so that the chlorine can disinfect the lines. Then, open all of the faucets and run a garden hose from your outside faucets into the yard so that you can drain the water away from the house. Run the water until you can't smell chlorine anymore, then it is safe to use.